Sunday, July 19, 2009

Why Organic?


Upon reading recent articles from the Organic Consumers Association, I felt it necessary to express my opinion on the meaning of organics and the importance of CropSwapper.

I learned in a health class that it is best to grow your own foods organically, and that even a little bit is better than nothing. I know we are all busy with our family, work and other events that make it hard to tend to gardens. I don't even have that much space to support my family, only supplement a little bit. But I still believe in it. I look at my kids and the common sense kicks in regarding these "perfect" foods we get at the grocery store. Common sense like, "Why would I want to eat broccoli that a bug won't even eat?".  That makes no sense to me.

I knew ten years ago that the organic movement would create greed in the corporate world and effect the quality of organic foods. I didn't mind paying the high price if it was quality food. However, the government keeps approving things that make it easier for companies to make money, yet compromise the quality of food we are eating. For example, GMO's, new "organic" pesticides, and very minimal visits to organic farms to verify they are truly practicing organic farming techniques.   


My point is that we cannot truly know what is put into our foods unless we do it ourselves. However, our societies norms keep us very busy, which makes it seem impossible to produce your own food, or at least a good quantity of it. This is one of the reasons we created CropSwapper. The only way to make a stand is to get involved and do it yourself. I'm not saying to pick up a picket sign and go to the streets, just be part of the quiet revolution and go to your backyard. Start with one tomato plant in a pot for Pete's sake.

I am not an activist, just a normal guy who demands the best for his family. I simply do what I can and try to teach my kids the best. That is what is happening at the CropSwapper meetings, as we are learning best practices in the garden as we go and doing our best. Come and get educated about organics, and teach me something too.

Anyway, enough ranting; that's just how I feel. I am trying to engage you in a conversation. Leave me a comment so I know what you think. See you at the next CropSwapper. 
 
Todd
CropSwapper

2 comments:

  1. Hey Todd-
    I couldn't agree with you more. While living in Mexico, I learned that the Mexicans won't eat salads while dining out because they know where the produce comes from and how it's grown. Produce imported from Mexico is truly scary. At my spanish language school I was told the first day not to eat the tomatoes in certain markets because they come from an area where the pollution is terrible. All Mexicans wash and soak their produce in Betadyn for 10 minutes so that they won't get sick.

    It's just disturbing when one stops and thinks about the chemical we ingest and don't even give it a second thought.

    Thanks for organizing the cropswapper. So far, I've extremely with the crops we've exchanged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I'm sure others who have traveled outside this country have also seen some good and bad practices. I would be interested to hear.

    ReplyDelete